Ideas about how to render terrain?

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
JesusR

Ideas about how to render terrain?

Post by JesusR »

Hello,

Some time ago I saw a post form iForce2 about how the terrain of Downhill Supreme was generated, I just can't find it anymore, can anybody help me to find that link?

I am having problem as well in order to generate smooth terrain for my game. I have tryed bevel corners + smooth lines with no luck. If I try to paint stuff from that polygons, terrain doesn't feel natural.

You can check it here:

Thanks for the amazing tool and the help provided.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Ideas about how to render terrain?

Post by iforce2d »

http://www.iforce2d.net/blog/2013-07-20

I think you will need to be more descriptive about what you want for the terrain generation. Saying "doesn't feel natural" leaves us wondering what exactly you think is natural.

The "Smooth line" script only works on existing vertices, so if there are not many vertices it cannot make a very smooth curve. You could try adding more vertices into the line before smoothing, or alternate between smoothing and adding more vertices. You can add more vertices into a line by selecting the vertices between which to place them, then choose Vertex -> Subdivide edges from the action menu.
JesusR

Re: Ideas about how to render terrain?

Post by JesusR »

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, subdividing is making the trick, now it feels much smoother.For me, something like this is the result I am looking for:

I have to try to paint the line of the ground, maybe it helps to get the effect done even if the bodies in Box2d aren't as smooth.