Simple Question - Cannot Move an object

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
jaxily

Simple Question - Cannot Move an object

Post by jaxily »

Hello I am new to Rube and frustrated that something so simple isn't clear. I am trying to move an object, yet just move an object by dragging it over like one would expect.

1. Started a new project
2. moved a few images on the the page
3. click on an image to make it with a yellow box
4. cannot move the damn things for the life of me...

Using a mac with Rube 1.3.1. I just tried this on my PC as well an I am unable to drag a object around. I saw it was possible in the tutorial 03 - Edit modes.mp4 (44.3 MB).

Please help!
Last edited by jaxily on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
tescott

Re: Simple Question - Cannot Move an object

Post by tescott »

Hit "T" to "translate" and then move your mouse. After you get it in the correct position, click the left mouse button to set the new position.

If you have the Context Help displayed, it will show you the available commands depending on what you are currently doing.

--tim
jaxily

Post by jaxily »

Thanks Tim, that worked. I didn't see that "T" command so thanks for that. Curios why Rube doesn't work like every other application....select area, then click and drag to move. Simpler than pressing T all the time. Best
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

... like every other application
RUBE works the same as Blender does. But you are right, this control method is in the minority for sure.
...select area, then click and drag to move. Simpler than pressing T all the time.
Once you already have something selected, the location of it on the screen is a redundant piece of information when it comes to manipulating it. Is it really easier to move the mouse over it a second time (requiring finely detailed hand-eye coordination and risk losing the selection if missed by a few pixels) than to just hit a key?

The method used in RUBE/Blender has these advantages:
- no need to select location on screen twice
- no chance to unintentionally lose selection when starting a manipulation
- since mouse cursor does not need to be on top of the thing being manipulated you can get a clearer view when lining up small things
- items can be moved out of the view completely, because the mouse does not need to go with them
- not needing to hold down the LMB while moving makes it easy to pan and zoom the view during a manipulation (otherwise you would need to use RMB or mousewheel simulaneously)
- not needing to hold down the LMB while moving makes large movements and placing things precisely much easier when using a trackpad
- for rotation, the mouse can be placed at an appropriate distance from the rotation center to get a fine or coarse rotation as necessary
- for scaling, likewise

The key layout attempts to keep the most common actions on keys pressed by the left hand, so that there is a natural synergy between the balance of work done by the right and left hand, similar to how the qwerty keyboard was designed. I have to admit though, if you use the mouse in your left hand, this control scheme would be pretty terrible.

There is a case to be made for simultaneous selection and movement with the LMB, in situations where a lot of selection and movement of single items is done in quick succession, without needing to keep the selection state for any longer than during the movements, as in this recent thread: https://www.iforce2d.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=157 The case pointed out there is somewhat of an exception to the norm, and I will most likely add another sub-mode to help with that.

When I first started using Blender I hated this control style too, because it was... not like every other application. But if you give it a chance, I think you'll find it to be more efficient in the long run.
jaxily

Post by jaxily »

Thanks for your great response, I am getting the hang of it, training wheels still on for a few more days ;-)