Window drawing problem under Linux

Report problems here (or use the built-in feedback dialog in the editor)
yulan6248

Window drawing problem under Linux

Post by yulan6248 »

I don't know if this is related to my Window Manager (I'm using XMonad by the way) but all the menus within the program are hidden under the main canvas if there's some file open. One implication of that is I can't invoke any 'action' - since a action is only accessible through the menu on the menu bar or by pressing spacebar on the canvas. I also see any dialog box as that is elipsed by the canvas as well.

What's interesting is that if there's no file open i.e. the canvas is empty, everything works fine.

I'm running Linux 3.9.9-1 on Arch Linux distro.
Attachments
rube problem.png
rube problem.png (175.8 KiB) Viewed 21932 times
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Window drawing problem under Linux

Post by iforce2d »

yikes... does this distro have a live-disk type spin that I can use to test without installing? If you can point me to the same iso or whatever you used, I will at least see if I can reproduce it. Could be something that Qt needs to take a look at.

In the meantime, I guess you can move the mouse to the far right edge of the editor view before hitting space - does that let you see the menu? You can also find the same menu under Scene in the main toolbar, but it would suck to use that all the time.
yulan6248

Post by yulan6248 »

Hi thanks for your reply (btw I didn't receive email notifications and that's why it takes me so long...)

Arch Linux live disc is available here https://www.archlinux.org/download/ (you can choose a nearer mirror site for faster download)

When you boot it up you'll be at its cli interface; its package manager is 'pacman', by default neither xorg nor qt is installed so you probably need to do things like

pacman -S xorg-server qt4

Yes your suggestion of pressing spacebar nearing the edge of the window works (and I have been doing that for some time..); using menubar is not possible because the menu is hidden under the canvas as well.

I think if you can add in keyboard shortcuts for the actions as I suggested in another thread then my problem will go away as well.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Well I finally got around to trying out ArchLinux for myself. I did not have any problems with the rendering or action menu display, so I am guessing it must be a driver issue. I tested using the most basic window manager available as far as I can tell (twm), and it is really not very pleasant to use so I am guessing you are using something else, in which case the problem could be related to the window manager too.

It probably doesn't help any but just in case something is relevant, here is the exact sequence of things I did after booting from the live CD:

Code: Select all

1  pacman -Sy
    2  pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau
    3  pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xterm xorg-xclock xorg-twm
    4  startx
    5  pacman -S unzip
    6  wget http://www.iforce2d.net/rubetrial.php?platform=lin64
    7  mv rubetrial.php\?platform=lin64 rubetrial.zip
    8  unzip rubetrial.zip
    9  cd rube-lin64-1.4.0
   10  ./rube
By the way, does the 'arch' stand for 'archaic'? :p Although the handful of commands above might seem pretty straightforward now that I know what to do, it took me almost four hours of trial and error just to get to a point where I could run the program to check it! I have been using various Linux distros since about 1995 and this one makes me feel like I am.... back in 1995 again. I will admit though, it is mind-blowingly fast.

EDIT:
Just noticed that you already said which window manager you're using - yeah, it could be something to do with that. I have noticed issues with high performance surfaces in the distro I use (Fedora) which are related to the desktop type. Specifically, recording screencast videos with ffmpeg while using the unity desktop results in horrible flickering, but the classic desktop is fine. Of course that's quite different to the plain old OpenGL surface used by RUBE, but my point is that it's not the driver causing the problem.
Unfortunately XMonad is a bit large for me to check running from a live CD.