R.U.B.E trial crash

Report problems here (or use the built-in feedback dialog in the editor)
fr3sh

R.U.B.E trial crash

Post by fr3sh »

Hi
I wanted to see how rube works but after creating a body when I click left mouse on it the whole program crash.

This line are in the log only:

12:53:58 [ INFO ]: Started log
12:53:59 [ INFO ]: Started R.U.B.E 1.5.4 - hello!
12:53:59 [ INFO ]: This is the trial version of R.U.B.E - some features are not available.
12:54:03 [ INFO ]: Created new document
12:54:03 [ INFO ]: Opened editor view of 'untitled1'

I use windows version 1.5.4
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: R.U.B.E trial crash

Post by iforce2d »

There seems to be a problem after 1.4.0 that affects some users on Windows, most commonly on laptops that have both Intel and nVidia graphics acceleration, at least as far as I can tell... in one case, choosing to always use the nVidia graphics fixed the problem.

You could try version 1.4.0 and see if it is any different:
http://www.iforce2d.net/rube/rube-trial-win32-1.4.0.zip
fr3sh

Post by fr3sh »

Yeaaaa It's working. Thanks a lot.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Great! Could you tell us a little about what you did that made it work?
kadpuck

Post by kadpuck »

I have same problem too. rube-win32-1.5.4 installed to windows 7 64 bit at vaio laptop.

I downloaded rube-win32-1.5.4 and tried to add fixture to scene and after mouseover to object it immediately crashed.

Note: I dont want to use older version of RUBE
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Hi kadpuck
Thanks for the report! So far the information is pretty scarce to do anything about though... for example:
- What type of video hardware does that vaio have?
- Are there any options you can try for hardware accelerated video settings?
- Does it crash on that computer with version 1.4?
- Is it a 100% repeatable crash?
- Is it always crashing with only fixtures, or other item types too?
- Does it crash immediately when the mouse touches the fixture, or does it take a moment (when the tooltip will show)?
- Is it occurring with only fixtures you added in the current run, or with all fixtures in any of the sample scenes too?
- Does it happen with any specific fixture shape type, or all shape types?
- Does it make any difference if labels are being shown or not?

What is the reason you don't want to use an older version? The main new feature added after 1.4 was item labels, and some script functions. There were also some additions to the action menu, but you can get those by just replacing the 'default' folder inside the 'config/actionMenu' folder with the newer version.
kadpuck

Post by kadpuck »

Hi thanks for reply,

- I am using default windows 7 setup video card driver is Intel HD Graphics Family
- There is intel graphic control panel but provide mostly monitor , resolution and color options
- Crash occoured on 1.5.4 trial
- it is 100% repeatable crash
- "Add body with no fixtures" and "Add Image" options not crashed
- No tooltip displayed when mouseover it , its immadiately crashing
- No i installed first time and added body with fixture and mouseover to object on scene or object name on left side, later instantly crashing.
- All options are crashing under "Add" > "Add Body" except without fixture option. And Add image option also not crashing.
- I dont know where labels are to test this

Because i want to buy latest version and its crashing maybe best is using ubuntu with QT creator so your tutorials are based on QT as i see on youtube
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Thank for the extra info. Now I have some more questions :)
- Does it crash on that computer with version 1.4?
- Does it crash if you open an existing scene (eg. one of the sample scenes) and mouse over a fixture?
- Do the tooltips show correctly for other item types (body, joint, image etc)?
- Does the crash occur in all edit modes, or only in fixture edit mode?
- The object name on left side that you mention, is that a fixture, body... or just any type at all?

I'd really like to figure this problem out since it seems to be coming up repeatedly. It seems to be always on laptops, and always those with Intel HD graphics. But unfortunately I have not seen it in person (even though I do have one such laptop), so I'm stuck asking many questions to those who can tell me.
kadpuck

Post by kadpuck »

- I didnt tested on 1.4
- I opened existing sample scenes and same happened crashed
- "Add body with no fixtures" displays tooltip and not crashed when mouseover it. Adding Images by using "Add Image" options not displayed tooltip and not crashed. I cannot add joint and others so it seems as light gray not active.
- I dont edit or something .
I am doing this

spacebar key> "Add" > "Add body with .... fixture" > Mouse over object or object name on itemlist > Crash

- On the left side itemlist object seems as body0 , when click + icon i can see fixture0
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

If you could try with 1.4 would be very helpful. In fact that is probably the most important question since it would show whether I did something wrong between these versions and narrow the search a lot, or whether it's just an issue with the hardware/driver in your computer. You can get 1.4 from the link above in this thread.

- Does the crash occur if the fixture is not inside the view area? To check this, you could make a body with a fixture as normal, and then carefully move the scene so that the body is waaay outside the view area, without putting the mouse over it. Then you can expand the item list (+ icon) to see the fixture, and mouse over the fixture in the list. You should see an arrow pointing to where the fixture is, like this:
offscreenFixture.png
offscreenFixture.png (27.74 KiB) Viewed 16715 times