NAPE

What would you like to see in future versions of the editor?
crazysam

NAPE

Post by crazysam »

I recently found out about this awesome tool and I'd like to incorporate it into my development pipeline. I use Haxe and Nape though, and although I can see that adapting the JSON file format probably wouldn't be super difficult, the main advantage of this editor is the in-editor preview.

Would it be feasible to have a "NAPE Preview" option that uses NAPE to run the physics simulation instead of Box2D?

Thanks!
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: NAPE

Post by iforce2d »

My first thought is "never say never", but if this happened it would be a long long long long way off in the future.

I am tentatively considering adding a Chipmunk player view someday, but that's mainly because it's relatively easy to fit into the existing program, being C and using extremely similar concepts to Box2D already. Nape would require learning a whole new language and physics API and I'm not even sure if it could be shoe-horned into a native C++ application in the way that would be required. Then to support all the changes on Windows, Mac and Linux, set up sample loaders etc... a lot of work.

fwiw when I'm developing the Javascript scenes, I more often alt-tab between RUBE and my browser to check it rather than use the built-in player. It only takes a second and I find it more reassuring to be testing with the environment that the scene will actually be running on when it's done. Besides, once you start adding control to things in the world (eg. after loading you find the body named "hero" and make it jump and move etc) then you have to use the final environment anyway.
crazysam

Re: NAPE

Post by crazysam »

Ahh, thanks for the reply, I didn't know you used a C++ backend for the editor and player.

Good luck, please keep working on this software, having great tools for game development is very important for the health of the game development industry!