Addition of a Ruler and Pixel width and height

What would you like to see in future versions of the editor?
onlyjoe

Addition of a Ruler and Pixel width and height

Post by onlyjoe »

Most implementations of box2d have a scale factor, like 32 in Cocos. So what would be really useful is the ability to see the cursor location in pixel values as well as box2d position. With a setting to change the scale factor somewhere.

And also I would love to see a ruler too, like the one in photoshop, that you can just click and drag, and it shows width, height and length between two points, again in pixels and box2d sizes.

And if you want to get really fancy with this, maybe even rulers on the edge of the screen, and the ability to add guide lines (like photoshop does again) so that you can even measure out the size of a screen making it easy to know where the limits are to placing objects, and easy to make sure objects line up correctly.

I am really liking RUBE, so thanks for all the effort you have put into it.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Addition of a Ruler and Pixel width and height

Post by iforce2d »

Yes, a measuring tool is planned for a future update.

About pixel measurements, I usually don't like to encourage designing physics scenes based on pixel dimensions, but I have ranted about that enough already elsewhere. Sure, it would be easy enough to add a secondary display for pixels as well.

About knowing where the limits of the screen are, one method that might be useful is a static body with a rectangular sensor fixture where the screen edges will be. There is a script here that sets this up for the three iOS screen aspect ratios, keeping the height constant, you can create an empty scene and run this to see what I mean: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=114