Image Parallax

What would you like to see in future versions of the editor?
fuglesang

Image Parallax

Post by fuglesang »

I've been looking at using RUBE for a while now and it seems to have all the capabilities that I'm looking for when it comes to Box2D.

It's also really nice that it supports simple image attaching to bodies and background images but my current project (and probably many other) uses parallax effects on the static background images to simulate depth.

So my request is that would it be possible to add this to RUBE?
A setting in the property panel for an image to control how much "depth" an image should have when used with parallax effect.

I know I could use a custom property to set an arbitrary value to use in our engine, but if this could be visualized in the RUBE editor the workflow would be greatly improved.

Now, RUBE probably isn't supposed to be doing a lot of image stuff, but since the feature to have images as background or "foliage" is already there, and this is such a common effect in 2d games, I think it would be a great addition.

I am pretty sure you know what "parallax" is but in case anyone wants to read up about it: Image

PS: great editor =)
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Image Parallax

Post by iforce2d »

I am planning to handle this with layers at some point in the future, rather than having a property in each image item individually. I think it would need more than just a depth value, because there are many ways of implementing the parallax (eg. does it parallax vertically, or only horizontally? at different rates? how are images moved, relative to 0,0 somehow? will they also be scaled in your game based on the depth? etc etc). The whole point of visualizing things in the editor is so you can see what they will look like in your game, so if the two do not match up exactly there is not much point. Given the many ways parallax could be implemented, I figure people will ultimately have to check it in their own game anyway, unless I can somehow make the player view show all possible methods for everybody :D
fuglesang

Re: Image Parallax

Post by fuglesang »

Yes, the different takes on it would be an issue. I was originally thinking that you could implement a way and have a "this feature exists but you will have to use the RUBE way of handling it in your engine" but I'm not sure what your philosophies for usability and simplicity are.

If these layers could be used to achieve the same effect and you already have plans for that I will support that idea. You could lock or delete this thread if you want, or leave it open for discussion too i guess. =)