How to open a .rube file from the command line on Linux?

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
yulan6248

How to open a .rube file from the command line on Linux?

Post by yulan6248 »

Hi iforce2d,

Thanks for your great software. Since upgrade to the latest version, it's able to work in ARCH-Linux perfectly.

Just got this simple question: How do I open a .rube file using the rube.bin from the command line?

I tried rube.bin -i <file> as suggested by the help, but it complains the following lines and failed to open

Code: Select all

Bayazit decomposition attempt failed, falling back to poly2tri for fixture: fixture2
    This can be caused by using polygons with a non-counter-clockwise winding
Bayazit decomposition attempt failed, falling back to poly2tri for fixture: fixture2
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: How to open a .rube file from the command line on Linux?

Post by iforce2d »

What are the LANG and LC_NUMERIC environment variables for the terminal? See this thread for an possible explanation: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=143

Actually the help suggests to run the file 'rube', not 'rube.bin' because the environment needs to be set correctly. You could try running using 'rube' instead (note that you should use the latest version of the 'rube' file because it was updated as a result of that thread).

If you don't have the 'rube' file, try extracting the downloaded zip on the command line like this:
unzip rube-lin64-1.5.1.zip
... instead of using a graphical archive tool. You should see "finishing deferred symbolic links" near the end of the output. I don't know about ArchLinux but in recent versions of Fedora and Ubuntu the standard archive program does not extract symbolic links anymore (why?!?).

Or maybe, you wanted to start the GUI from the command line and choose a file to open at the same time? Currently the only way to open the GUI is by giving no parameters at all.
yulan6248

Re: How to open a .rube file from the command line on Linux?

Post by yulan6248 »

OKay. I was wishing that '-i FILE' would open it in the GUI but obviously I was mistaken. I tried to set LC_ALL and LANG explicitly to en_US.UTF8 and use ./rube instead of ./rube.bin but to no effect. Anyway thanks for your help; if it's not opened in the GUI then I'm not going to use it.