Editor help - how to transform flip horizontally

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
msm1982

Editor help - how to transform flip horizontally

Post by msm1982 »

Hi,

I know I've seen this done in the tutorials but I cannot seem to find where or recall how. I would like to duplicate a fixture and simply translate and flip horizontally, basically so that mirrors the first fixture.

For example, if I have a triangular fixture pointing to the left of the body, I'd like to duplicate it and have a similar fixture pointing off the right side of the body. I believe there was a very simply way to use the existing commands to basically do this in one step... anyone know how to do this in the editor?

Thanks for the help
tescott

Re: Editor help - how to transform flip horizontally

Post by tescott »

x
Last edited by tescott on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

If you position the cursor at the center of where you want to flip about, you can do it during the duplicate step too.

1. Place cursor where the center of the flip transform should be
2. Shift+D to duplicate
3. Before clicking to place the duplicated fixture, hit S,X to start scaling (you may have to hit S again if scaling was not already around the cursor)
4. Hold Ctrl and adjust

For polygon shapes, you might want to reverse the fixture winding after doing this to get a better polygon decomposition when using the 'bayazit' method. With the newly duplicated fixture still selected, choose Fixture->Reverse vertex winding from the action menu.
msm1982

Post by msm1982 »

Hey iforce2d, thanks, I actually found the answer before seeing your post, for others it is at this point in the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UUHSezu ... age#t=1180

To add to iforce2d's instruction, when using CTRL to scale in discrete units, you can basically stop once you see the status bar show "scaled factor: -1"

Thanks for the help