Will rube give an export for sprite kit?

General discussion about Box2D tutorials
zerofield

Will rube give an export for sprite kit?

Post by zerofield »

Sprite Kit is very awesome, I want to use rube for my level editor.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Will rube give an export for sprite kit?

Post by iforce2d »

Yes, I will make a loader for SpriteKit sometime. However, there is a very important caveat to keep in mind: SpriteKit is a different physics engine :)

Like the Chipmunk loader, many of the settings (friction, joint speeds, etc) you give to things in RUBE may not behave the same way as they do in Box2D, so the player view in RUBE would only be of limited use to check how your scene works. It should be fine for defining geometry and positions though. And given that SpriteKit seems to be very (veeeeery!) similar to Box2D, I think in practice many things should work out smoothly.

I am not very excited about the closed-source and non-portable nature of SpriteKit though, so I have no idea when I would get around to doing this. Don't be surprised if somebody else ends up doing it first :)
locassa

Post by locassa »

I've just bought R.U.B.E and am toying with using it with SpriteKit instead of Cocos2D due to the simplicity of the Apple framework and the long-term buy-in it has given that Apple have created it (albeit from Cocos2D / Box2D...).

Is the loader something which would be relatively painless to implement / difficult to get right? Or is it best to wait until enough support for SK prompts an official loader?

Thanks.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

I don't think it would be such a daunting task for someone who is already familiar with SpriteKit, but that's not me ;) And to be honest, the way Apple takes open-source software and makes their own locked-down, closed-source, platform-exclusive, buggy version with less features kinda pisses me off. Without even a whisper of credit given to Box2D either, how nice. And you can't use it for pre-iOS7 either. The buy-in may be long-term, but with all the downsides involved I don't really see that as a positive aspect. Who knows what features will be added in future... got the skills to add something yourself? Too bad, your future is at the mercy of Apple. </rant>

What's worse, it forces me to use MacOS to work with it, and I can't stand using MacOS for a minute longer than necessary. I guess you are getting the picture, that you shouldn't hold your breath for a loader to be done by me any time soon :D I'll be busy until mid-February at the earliest anyway, after which I will be adding more features to RUBE as a first priority.
drake

Post by drake »

forced wrote:...the way Apple takes open-source software and makes their own locked-down, closed-source, platform-exclusive, buggy version with less features kinda pisses me off.
I understand your point, but quoting from Box2D site:
..has the zlib license. While the zlib license does not require acknowledgement, we encourage you to give credit to Box2D in your product.

As you see, license allows for locking down and doing whatever you want to do with this.

So, make software, not excuses :D

Sprite Kit is very important successor of cocos2d api these days, and ignoring it will be punished by market.

And, you don't need to use embedded Sprite Kit physics engine. This is optional.

For example I'm using Box2d with Sprite Kit for better performance, more precise world control and for more features. Sprite Kit only draws and positions box2d shapes.